2019 Start Right Program for Beginning School Leaders
The College of Alberta School Superintendents 21st annual Start Right short course for newly appointed school principals, assistant/vice-principals and aspiring leaders will be offered at Olds College, located in the Town of Olds, beginning at 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday, July 2, 2019 and ending at noon on Friday, July 5. The registration fee is $895.00 (includes GST) or $595.00 if accommodation is not required (includes GST).
Registration is limited to 110 participants. The term “newly appointed” refers to individuals who are just finishing their first year in a school-based administrative position, or will be in their first year during the 2019-20 school year.
Start Right 2019 will be co-coordinated by the CASS Directors of Leadership Learning, Dr. Del Litke and Elizabeth Gouthro. This will be Del’s 5th year serving as a coordinator of Start Right. This will be Liz’s 4th year with the program.
Over the past 20 years, there have been more than 1,400 participants in the Start Right short course. The feedback from participants has traditionally been very positive. 100% of the 2018 participants rated the learning experience as very good or excellent with 93% giving the program the highest possible rating. Additionally, 100% of the participants indicated they would recommend the program to other new administrators and leadership trainees in the future.
The program continues to evolve. This year with the projected changes to the Leadership Quality Standard, we will be opening with a session on First Nations Métis and Inuit Education. Additionally, we are pleased to welcome back the participation of the Alberta Teachers’ Association. Finally, we are pleased to bring back all our most highly rated presenters from 2018: Dr. Scott Morrison, Kurt Sacher, Pam Davidson, Ray Hoppins, and Jody Dennis.
The program is designed to bring participants together as a leadership learning community with a focus on providing opportunities for:
- Reflecting, sharing ideas and building on school leadership experiences and best practices;
- Gaining new ideas and resources through engaging presentations and interactive learning activities facilitated by educational leaders with a wealth of school and school system experience;
- Meaningfully addressing issues and challenges encountered by school leaders and developing practical strategies for action;
- Networking with colleagues from other school jurisdictions;
- Establishing through participation in cohorts a forum for building relationships, learning with and from each other, and an opportunity for continuing to offer support and assistance as an extension of the workshop learning experience;
- Extending the learning experience through university graduate coursework, if desired; and
- Further developing a personal understanding and vision for successful school leadership.
University Graduate Level Credit: Arrangements can be made through Alberta universities: U of Alberta (Dr. José da Costa firstname.lastname@example.org), U of Lethbridge, (Kevin Matis email@example.com), and Werklund School of Education, (Dr. Jim Brandon firstname.lastname@example.org) to extend the Start Right 2019 learning experience for graduate level course credit. Participants will be required to pay a tuition fee to the university and to meet additional course requirements.
If you have further questions, please contact:
Del Litke @ 780-293-3315 or email@example.com
Elizabeth Gouthro @ 587-226-8256 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Conference Reading and Resource Materials
Establish a sense of efficacy and confidence in newly appointed school leaders by providing practical, grounded advice.
July 2 - 5, 2019
Accommodations: Participants will stay in the new residences at Centennial Village! Each room is furnished with a double bed, desk plus chair, closet with shelving, a night stand, and private bath. All units are non-smoking.
Meals are included in the registration fee.
Location of Sessions: All sessions will be held on the beautiful campus of Olds College.
Senior CASS members (supervisors) are welcome to drop in!