CASS/ASBOA Proper Conduct of Investigations in an Education Setting
CASS and ASBOA are pleased to offer its inaugural full day interactive hands-on workshop on the proper conduct of investigations in an education setting.
The workshop has been developed specifically for CASS and ASBOA members. The cost to attend is $250.00.
The presenters for this interactive case-study-focused workshop are:
- Teresa Haykowsky, Partner, McLennan Ross LLP
- Steve Marrisink, B.A., C.D., Investigator at LMAR Group Ltd
- Michael Mccormack, Investigator, Forensic and Litigation Support, MNP
8:00 – Registration and Breakfast
8:30 – Process/Procedures
- selecting the investigator: current trends and arguments of bias
- retaining the investigator
- establishing terms of reference / the investigation plan
- preparing for the interview
10:00-10:15 – Wellness Break
10:15-Noon – Power and Duties
- conduct of witness interviews
- reviewing written complaints
- maintaining objections
- making conclusions based on feeling / intuition
- ensure the investigator obtains all the facts surrounding the alleged misconduct
- conducting a fair and objective interview
Noon-1:00 – Lunch
1:00-2:15 – Lessons Learned
- pitfalls of inadequate investigation
- damages awarded for wrongful investigations
2:15-2:30 – Wellness Break
2:30-4:00 – Current Case Law
- current case law dealing with internal employer investigators
4:00 – Wrap up
This is a hands-on workshop based on a case study approach. Be prepared to work. Workshop materials will be provided in electronic format.
October 26, 2020 UPDATE
Putting your health and safety as a priority, considering concerns about increasing COVID-19 cases in Alberta, and the recent decisions of educational partners with respect to face to face conference gatherings are factors into the decision to switch the workshop to online format.
Participants will have a better understanding of:
November 4, 2020
Conference occurs at the Deerfoot Inn and Conference Centre, 1000, 11500 – 35 Street SE Calgary, Alberta T2Z 3W4
Group code: 2020CASS or state “with CASS or College of Alberta School Superintendents”.
Reservations may be made by calling toll free: 1-888-875-4667 or hotel direct: 403-236-7529, by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or online: www.deerfootinn.com (enter dates on first page, will redirect to next page, click “add code”, click “group attendee”, enter group code , click “complete reservation” and proceed with personal information)